An integrated master plan is essential for getting projects off the ground and moving in the right direction. Terra Phoenix is a world-class team of designers who deliver comprehensive plans, which address the unique aspects of any project. We present food, energy, water, waste and building systems in illustrated site plans, which are as accessible as they are beautiful. We begin with a conceptual design. This allows us to make sure all aspects of the project will work together in a holistic fashion. Following the conceptual (or schematic) phase, we help clients develop the various parts of their project; collaborate with other professionals; and/or provide educational services so clients may detail their own designs.
Our Design Process
The following is a general idea of how we create a master plan of a site and systems. From this framework, our design process is tailored to meet the needs of each unique project:
- Client Questionnaire – Each potential client completes a basic project questionnaire. This first step presents the big picture and helps generate clarifying questions.
- Phone Interview – Following a review of the questionnaire is a brief phone interview. Information from this conversation is used to match a client’s needs and budget to an appropriate package of services.
- Site Assessment – One or more consultants will visit the site, depending on the agreed upon package. Information is collected while walking the landscape and during conversations with the client. During this visit or soon after, products such as a base map, site assessment overlays, a summary of site constraints and opportunities, and a vision for the overall project are usually produced.
- Conceptual Design – The design team works with the client to evaluate a wide range of ideas, configurations, and layouts during the conceptual design phase. Practical solutions are identified, refined, and presented in a conceptual master plan. The various aspects of project development are addressed with a contextually appropriate degree of detail.
- Implementation Planning & Starting Points – An integrated master plan can be a lot to take in, especially for complex sites and/or visions. Including an implementation plan helps clients figure out logical starting points and an “order of operations.”
- Design Development – Various aspects of the design will require further detailing. Clients can do some of this in-house. Terra Phoenix can help with other pieces when appropriate. A large network of specialist colleagues (i.e. landscape architects, horticulturalists, energy consultants, etc.) can also be contacted to help further develop specific aspects of the project.
For residential landowners (primarily defined as single family urban, sub-urban, or rural homesteads) we have put together a menu of packages that are geared to meet the needs of our clients at several different price points. Feel free to download that menu above. Unique packages can be tailored to fit clients’ needs to a T.
We also provide master planning services for institutional projects such as retreat centers, education centers, campuses, ecovillages, and other multi-unit residential projects. For projects of this nature we produce custom tailored packages of services appropriate for your project. Feel free to download our brochure above (coming soon!) to see the services and products we offer.